Friday, April 6, 2007

Confessions

I used to read a couple books a week, now I'm lucky to get one in a month. As a result I have become quite discriminatory about the books I spend valuable reading time on. Earlier this week someone gave me a new book and last night I cracked it open for the first time. I have a system I go through to see if I want to read a book or not. It always helps if there is a recommendation from a respected friend, but I still work a book over before a commitment. I look at who's on the back, the publisher, the synopsis and after a glance at the table of contents I sample the first chapter and the most interesting sounding chapter. Yes, I'm a book snob.

Confessions Of A Pastor has me hooked. I am committed after the first chapter no questions asked, no need to sample the most interesting looking chapter as it was the first entitled, I Can't Stand A Lot Of Christians. Craig Groeschel describes what pastors and many Christians deal with as they supposedly mature; fear of being found out for who and what you really are. As a result we often feel the pressure to Pose putting on the right masks for the the every situation and setting. I'll let you know how it challenges me as I go along this week.

No comments: